Algae thrive in areas without direct sunlight, excess moisture, and moderate temperatures. Therefore, it is not uncommon to find them on your home’s siding, driveways, poolside, decks, and fences. Though they are a critical part of our ecosystem, not all algae are good. If you notice blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, growing on your home’s exterior, it’s time to take action.
Read on to learn more about the harmful effects of algae on your home’s exterior.
Harmful Effects of Algae on Your Home’s Exterior
Blue-green algae is a common problem in Tampa. It’s not only unattractive but can also cause extensive damage to your home and health if left unattended. Here’s how algae can damage your home:
● It can affect the paint by allowing UV rays from the sun to penetrate through cracks and crevices between boards inside siding or trim. This can make your house look older than it is.
● If blue-green algae become thicker, it can make your roof surface, driveway, poolside, and pavements slippery, making it dangerous to walk or drive without risking a fall or slip.
● Algae can cause your roof to deteriorate, lose its color, and even leak. The extra moisture from algae can drastically shorten your roof’s lifespan.
● Algae bloom will turn into black spots when sunlight hits them directly for several days in a row during summers when temperatures are above 75 degrees Fahrenheit. This will make it difficult to remove from concrete surfaces and other materials like vinyl siding or brick pavers surrounding the house.
● Algae is not only bad for your house, but it is also bad for your health and your pets’ health. Blue-green algae release harmful toxins that cause extensive diseases upon direct exposure. It can cause allergies, rash, vomiting, diarrhea, eye irritation, cough, sore throat, and headache.
How Do You Spot Harmful Algae?
During the initial stages of growth, blue-green algae is an invisible airborne microorganism. It gets carried by air and sticks to any surface.
Individual algae are invisible until they are in full bloom. But they can grow pretty quickly. Unfortunately, we can only see it when it has spread over large areas around our house. However, that doesn’t mean it can’t be prevented.
Pressure washing or power washing your house’s exterior and surrounding areas is generally the best way to remove dirt and prevent algae. This method uses high-pressure water infused with appropriate chemicals and soap to clean all surfaces thoroughly. That means no algae can build up and wreck your house exterior.
Power washing can also remove accumulated dirt, allergens, and debris, giving your home a new look and a healthy atmosphere.
Are you looking for a Tampa pressure washing company to help you with regular pressure washing? All Around Tampa provides the highest quality and most affordable residential and commercial pressure washing service in the entire Tampa Bay area. During pressure washing, we carefully handle your roof shingles, home siding, or other fragile materials and leave your house in better condition than we found it. Call us at (727) 492-7814 to schedule your pressure washing service today.